Jan 20, 2009

Ok, a bit more about me and what I do. I started quilting in the 70’s with my "first" quilt being a Wedding Ring Quilt – well, I’m a proficient sewer so this shouldn’t be a problem, right? That quilt spent 20+ years in and out of boxes and drawers and finally did get finished and is now hanging on my wall – hubby said after all that time it deserved a place of honor just for surviving.

The next one I tackled was a Lone Star – I sure don’t believe in starting simple! WHEW!! That one was finished in a year since Gram-In-Law had given it to me as a Christmas present – well, I was a quilter, wasn’t I??

I’m a traditionalist, I guess, and love working with my hands so both quilts were pieced and one was quilted by hand. I had the Wedding Ring quilted by a long arm quilter because I was afraid it would take me another 20+ years.

I still do everything by hand. I know quilts would never be made in the profusion they are if machines weren’t used but I think hand quilting is an art that needs to be continued. There’s something about being able to quilt anywhere – outside on the porch, on a plane, in doctor’s offices, in the living. It does take longer, I agree, but there is SUCH a sense of accomplishment to watch pieces of fabric grow in my lap into a finished product. And, it’s relaxing – and I don’t get a back ache -- plus, I can actually hear people when they talk to me .

Thankfully, after the first two quilts I found Applique and have never looked back. I do still make "pieced" quilts and, after some gentle prodding by fellow quilters who shall remain anonymous, I have made two wall hangings using fusible and my machine but I was anxious to finish so I could get back to working by hand.

One of my current projects has been a challenge because it’s a combination of applique and embroidery. I tried something new for the cardinal …. I’ve always wanted to try some of Jane Townswick techniques and this was the perfect opportunity. I’m pleased with the way it turned out – now I just have to add borders and quilt it. It is a Winter scene – ah well – Winter comes around every year as we are experiencing here in SC ...

SNOW!!!




More later .....

Geri

8 comments:

  1. Hey Geri,
    I love the wedding ring quilt. I have an antique one from my husband's grandma.
    Jane Townswick was going to come to our guild but something came up. I have not attempted her patterns. One day. I love your wallhanging and the cardinal is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geri,
    I too am a hand quilter.......love the sense of accomplishment and enjoy being able to quilt anywhere. The cardinal is lovely but the wedding ring is awesome. I have one that was made for my parents when they were married. It is lovingly worn and treasured. Have a great week.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blog world, I am also new and am having fun posting and meeting quilters. Love seeing all of your beautiful work....Marj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, Geri, you DON'T believe in starting easy!! Great job - you're a natural - at quilting AND blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to blogging! And, thank you so much for sharing your talent and wonderful works of art. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm another hand quilter. I have a sewing machine and do use it when forced to but would much rather stitch by hand! Love the double wedding ring!! I'm still contemplating doing one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to blogland. I just love your current applique project. I love to needleturn applique or anything with needle and thread in hand. My sewing machine is very lonely. :)

    ReplyDelete