Feb 7, 2009

Appliqué is not a dirty word …..


I know they have a completely different look from Applique, but I believe Stained Glass Quilts are still considered Applique. I know there is a lot more stitching because the pieces comprising the picture need to be basted down first. I still love Stained Glass and do make them however, I’m not sure I would survive doing those exclusively.

I'm proud of my first Stained Glass Quilt …. The borders were not part of the original design but I tend to “grow” my quilts ... then I’m amazed when they finish close to double bed size!

I'm trying to get another Stained Glass quilted. I started it about a month before the 4th of July but - well - there will be another 4th next year.

I was interested in where the term Appliqué came from – also how long Appliqué, as I know it, has been around. So a search of the Internet came up with the following:

“In its broadest sense, an appliqué or appliqué is a smaller ornament or device applied to another surface. In the context of ceramics, for example, an appliqué is a separate piece of clay added to the primary work, generally for the purpose of decoration.”

“In the context of sewing, appliqué refers a needlework technique in which pieces of fabric, embroidery, or other materials are sewn onto another piece of fabric to create designs. It is particularly suitable for work which is to be seen from a distance, such as in banner-making. A famous example of appliqué is the Hastings Embroidery.”

“Appliquéd cloth is an important art form in Benin, West Africa, particularly in the area around Abomey, where it has been a tradition since the 18th century and the kingdom of Danhomè.”

“Appliqué is used extensively in quilting. "Dresden Plate" and "Sunbonnet Sue" are two examples of traditional American quilt blocks that are constructed with both patchwork and appliqué. Baltimore album quilts, Broderie perse, Hawaiian quilts, Amish quilts and the ralli quilts of India and Pakistan also use appliqué.” Thank you Wikipedia !

I did find an example of a Ralli Pieced Quilt from the La Conner Quilt & Textile Museum in Washington State. But I wasn't able to find an Appliqued one --- maybe someone knows where we can see one?

To me, appliqué is the freest form of quilting … I’m not limited to blocks, I don’t have to have the perfect ¼” seam (which I’ve pretty much given up trying). I do agree with the statement that Applique is particulary suitable for work …. to be seen from a distance. My work always looks better from a distance though I’m not sure it’s for the same reason Wikipedia implies.
Until next time .... Keep stitching ....
Geri

2 comments:

  1. Ralli quilts are tarditional textiles of Pakistan and India. Although you found have a ralli quilt from La Conner Quilt & Textile Museum in Washington State, please email to me on lila.ralli.quilts@gmail.com or visit my rallquilt.blogspot.com to receive or find applique ralli quilt image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geri,
    Your quilts are so beautiful. One of these days I am going to make one like that. I tried to post when this one came out but google wouldn't let me for some reason but now I am back. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete